Juicing is the process of extracting juice from fruit or vegetable produce and is a great way to get vitamins that you may not be getting enough of from the food you eat. Many people use it to aid in weight loss and detoxification. They also claim that it helps digestion and improves one's lipid panel. In addition, there are claims that juicing allows your body to absorb nutrients quicker since you don't have to digest the fibers and other components of whole foods.
Due to its health benefits, more people have grown curious about juicing. If you happen to be one of them, this blog discusses all you need to know about what juicing is and the different types of juicers you can use.
What is a Juicer?
A juicer is a kitchen appliance that extracts the liquid from fruits, greens and other vegetables. However, choosing a suitable juicer is not as straightforward as it seems. A quick search online will reveal many types of juicers with distinct features and capabilities with their pros and cons. The number of options might confuse those new to the process, and you might buy a juicer that does not fit your needs and lifestyle.
If you have spent some time researching the topic, you most likely came across the terms centrifugal and masticating, which are the most common juicer varieties.
- Centrifugal Juicers work at high speeds to extract juice from produce. It is an excellent appliance to start with since it's the cheaper option, but it does make juice of lesser quality.
- Masticating Juicers work slowly to grind and press fruits, greens and vegetables to extract the juice. It's the option that juicing veterans opt for since it provides healthier and better tasting drinks.
Masticating Juicer vs Cold Press Juicer
Those new to juicing often ask, "Is a masticating juicer the same as a cold press juicer?"
The answer is yes. Masticating, slow and cold press juicers are all the same type of juicer. Slow juicing and cold press refer to the lack of heat and oxidation during extraction, which better preserves the enzymes and nutrients. For this reason, they are regarded as the best type of juicers in the market.
However, it's still worth mentioning that slow juicers are the more expensive variety, so the price is something you will have to consider. But the many benefits they provide outweigh their cost. Here are some of their advantages:
- More juice: The best masticating juicers have a higher juice yield than centrifugal types, so you get more out of your fruits and greens. They squeeze out every drop of your produce, helping you save on costs in the long run.
- Drinks last longer: The spinning blades of centrifugal varieties create a lot of foam, spoiling the juice in a shorter time. However, this won't be an issue with masticating juicers since the appliance extracts juice without oxidation. Therefore, you can make large batches of drinks, place them in the fridge and consume them whenever needed.
- Quietness: When comparing the speeds of a masticating juicer vs. a cold press juicer, both operate at 80 to 100 revolutions per minute (RPM). This means they are much quieter than fast juicers that run around 3,000 to 16,000 RPM.
- Better tasting: With slow juicers, you don't only get more nutritious juice but better-tasting ones as well. The slow extraction speed of masticating models allows them to retain the ingredient's taste.
With all of its benefits, a masticating or cold press juicer is the best choice if you want to get the most benefits from juicing. There may be other less expensive options in the market, but the masticating variety is worth the investment.
Get the Best Juicers at Hurom
Knowing the answer to “is a masticating juicer the same as a cold press juicer” is the first step in finding the best type for you.
If you are looking for the best juicers, there is no better option than Hurom. Hurom is a world-class brand dedicated to designing and creating juicers that produce the world's healthiest and most delicious drinks. With our juicer, you get the culmination of 40 years worth of research and development in pursuing perfection. So shop a Hurom juicer today!